Friday 4 March 2011

Brighton Zinefest 2011.... Fresh Oyster 6 for £5 (plus complimentary seaview).

Few weeks ago on the 19th of February I went to adventurous Brighton for yet another fruitful visit. This time with a free comics making workshop .This was another brilliant excuse for what followed was a night of many creative bacchanalia glasses(thanks to Ocean and Pearl). The seminar was taking place in a small community/cafe space with the classic Brighton crowd of hippie, art students, kids and bizarre folk. Very underground, very self-initiated, very independent- yes I felt like a fish in the water. These I my roots baby! After 10 min wait for projector we could start off with some intro by Joe Deice, a comic enthusiast, who's clean watercolour style made me come to the workshop in the first place.He done a fantastic job inviting everyone to draw a quick diary comics and absolutely convinced me to the value of everyday drawn comments.I struggled to do it before, seeing it as a fairly daunting task. To come up with something clever and simple while translating my everyday experience into a comic used to wipe out my mind clear at once. However now the weeks are passing and I start to enjoy my emotional doodle practice. Being a commited (19 years? hm...maybe slightly addicted) diary writer I welcome this with curiosity and enthusiasm. Why write 4 pages if you can make one sketch with a whole emotional spectrum you went through during your day...
Comics ARE FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment